JANE M. KLAUSMAN WOMEN IN BUSINESS SCHOLARSHIP
This program was established in 1998 to encourage undergraduate women to enter careers and seek leadership positions in business. The program ultimately seeks to influence business decisions that positively affect women by increasing the number of women in executive positions in the field of business management. This program was established from a bequest by Jane M. Klausman, a member of the Zonta Club of Syracuse, New York USA, and the 1990-1995 Zonta International Parliamentarian.
Since the inception of the program in 1998, Zonta has awarded 564 Scholarships (includes international awards and second award recipients), totaling more than US$1.3 million, to 428 women representing 57 countries.
During her career, Jane M. Klausman was a successful professional secretary, parliamentarian and entrepreneur.
The District 4 winner receives $2,000 US and the opportunity to compete for one of six Zonta International awards of $8,000 US.
MEET MADISON BUCHHOLZ,
2020 Jane M. Klausman (JMK) Women in Business Scholarship district recipient
Madison Buchholz, 2020 JMK District Recipient
From all of us in District 4: Thank you to ZC of Niagara Falls, NY and the other four clubs for submitting your club’s candidate.
Congratulations to Madison Buchholz & ZC of Niagara Falls, NY!
Madison earned a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management from Niagara University in 2020 and recently awarded one of ZI’s District Scholarships of $2,000. Madison expects to complete a Master’s degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Strategic Marketing from Niagara University in January 2021. She intends to pursue her Ph.D. in Marketing at the State University of New York – Buffalo in September 2021. Madison’s professional goal is to advocate for equality for women in business. She eventually hopes to become a professor to teach marketing and ethics.
In addition to her academic accomplishments, Madison has a long track record of service to others.
- Served as a Kindergarten Student Aide while in high school, earning an award for over 100 hours of service in one year.
- Selected as a Vincentian Scholar at Niagara University in recognition of service and academic performance.
- Volunteered at St. Mary’s Neighborhood Health Clinic, serving children and families as well as leading two fundraising drives.
- Organized events to support senior citizens at the Health Association of Niagara County, Inc.
Classified members (club members and individuals with direct membership with Zonta International) and employees of Zonta International and Zonta International Foundation, and their family members (ancestors, descendants, adoptees, siblings, nieces or cousins, and those of their spouse or
Golden Z club members may apply.
Note that applicants from geographic areas within a Zonta district/region where no clubs are located will be considered and are eligible to apply for the district/region and international awards.
JANE M. KLAUSMAN WOMEN IN BUSINESS SCHOLARSHIP Resources
JMK 2020 Recipients
ZI December 2020 PDF
JMK 2020 Recipients' Bios
List of Recipients’ schools/Institutes by Country (1999-2020)
JMK Background and Statistics
JMK Guidelines for Clubs, Districts and Regions
JMK Sample News Release Announcing Applications
ZI February 2021 DOC
JMK Sample News Release Announcing Recipients
ZI February 2021 DOC
Winners of the District 4 Jane M. Klausman Award and sponsoring Zonta Club
2020 Madison Buchholz, Niagara University, Zonta Club of Niagara Falls, NY
2019 Daniela Gatti, Brock University, Zonta Club of St. Catharines, ON
2018 Katie Chen, Western University, Zonta Club of Kitchener-Waterloo
2017 Elizabeth Van Dyck, McMaster University, Zonta Club of Hamilton 1
2016 Helen Shen, University of Toronto, Zonta Club of Toronto (also an International winner)
2015 Regan Fitzgerald, Brock University, Zonta Club of St. Catharines
2014 Jennifer Philpott, Brock University, Zonta Club of St. Catharines
2013 Ginella Coutinho, McMaster University, Zonta Clubs of Hamilton 1 & 2
2012 Nina Zhang, University of Waterloo, Zonta Club Kitchener-Waterloo (also an International winner)
2011 Vivian Trinh, McMaster University, Zonta Clubs of Hamilton 1 & 2 (also an International winner)
2010 Ashley Ross, St Bonaventure University, Zonta Club of Hamburg-Orchard Park (also an International winner)
2009 Samantha Seto, University of Toronto, Zonta Club of Toronto (also an International winner)
2008 Jody Grewal, University of Waterloo, Zonta Club of Kitchener-Waterloo (also an International winner)
2007 Diane Lloyd, Zonta Club of Clarion
2006 Julie Mitchell, Wilfrid Laurier University, Zonta Club of Kitchener-Waterloo (also an International winner)
2005 Eva Reddington, Wilfrid Laurier University, Zonta Club of Kitchener-Waterloo
2004 Brianne Bell, University of Western Ontario, Zonta Club of London
2003 Charissa Lai, University of Toronto, Zonta Club of Toronto I
2002 Janeen Scott, Brock University, Zonta Club of St. Catharines
2001 Shazia Damji, York University, Zonta Club of Toronto I
- Applicants must apply to their local Zonta Club. Club winners proceed to the District Level where one applicant is chosen to be the District winner and our candidate for one of the International Scholarships.
- Each Zonta Club may nominate one applicant. Nevertheless, more than one applicant from a university or college may participate as long as each is sponsored by a different Zonta Club.
- The best applicants are those enrolled in challenging, reputable programs achieving at a high level and demonstrating a commitment to their community outside the scope of their academic program. They will be in their third or fourth year of undergraduate business study.
- Applicants must demonstrate intent to complete a program in business and show outstanding achievement in business related subjects as recorded on the official university/college/institute transcript.
Contact one of your District 4 Award Committee members at [email protected]
Where to get Application Forms
The current application form, available after December 31, must be downloaded and printed from the Zonta International web site: www.zonta.org
Let’s Shrink the Gender Gap in Education
Submit an Application Today
Contact our D4 Awards Committee for more information.